Can I register an overseas marriage?

Only marriages conducted in Australia can be registered here. Your marriage will be registered in the country in which it took place. It is important that you obtain a Certified Copy of the Marriage Certificate before you leave the country to return home.

A foreign Marriage Certificate is sufficient evidence in Australia as to the legality and validity of marriage provided that the marriage would have been legal had it taken place in Australia.
Australian couples wishing to marry overseas should ascertain from the country concerned as to whether a Certificate of No Impediment to Marriage is required.

It is not possible to have a second marriage ceremony conducted in Australia upon your return, however many couples will arrange a Renewal of Vows which allows for the participation and celebration with family at home however the ceremony carries no legal implications.

© 2011 Melissa Laird - Website Implementation and SEO by ProFound Sites SEO and Web Designwebmail